A new friend* recently returned from a weekend in Toronto. While she was there she kindly texted me photos of yarn, and yarn stores and oh, did I mention yarn? This friend has excellent taste in yarn, project bags, and knitting patterns and our tastes run along a similar vein in most of these areas. One thing I know for certain we share is a love of small scale Canadian yarn producers.
Below are a few of our favourites:
(click the names below for links to each shop, blog or Instagram feed)
- Lichen & Lace: I've yet to knit with this , but her yarn labels alone were enough to suck me in!
- Agrestal Yarn: I've followed Kylie on Instagram for a while and am truly in love with her aesthetic.
- Heidi's by Hand: A local favourite. Yarn, 'spinning, knitting, quilting, weaving, hooking, felting, farming...and a little shop too.'
- Viola Yarn: My newest obsession! Viola just successfully finished a kickstarter campaign to update a new dye shed in Mooresburg ON. I obsessively scroll through her Instagram feed!
- Indigodragonfly: Included here because of her utterly creative colouway names. For example: "Daleks don't give out pink slips", and "If you really wanted to mess me up, you should have gotten to me sooner".
- Sweet Fiber Yarns: Let me just say here. Those two heavenly skeins of Cashmerino Luxe I have in my stash will never get knit unless I find the perfect pattern! EVER!
There are many more Canadian yarns that are deserving of our love. Three honourable mention include: Tanis FIber Arts, Turtle Purl and Rain City Knits.
Now that I/We have listed some of our favourites, I want to know what yarns you've loving lately?
*I have known who she is for 4 years, and stood in line with her once for a few hours (hello going out of business sale) however, until a few weeks ago I couldn't really call her a friend. But, now I can!